Saturday, June 1, 2013

HAGIMIT FALLS, SAMAL ISLAND, PHILIPPINES

Going to tropical islands for a vacation is exciting. Surf and swim, sunny skies and sandy beaches, fancy hotels and service. Many of these places can deliver long lasting memories, while other's are plain tourists traps. If one would take the time to travel to exotic places why not drift off the beaten path a bit to experience the true life of the place. Lots of people think about luxuries and want all the familiar things of back home. They fail to experience the heart of it all.

Hagimit Falls is such a place where you can avoid the average tourist hustle and bustle. Each time I take a trip to the Philippines I visit the Falls. It's a great place to cool off and relax. Just lay on the rocks as the water flows and splashes all around you. You will find mostly locals there and feel more rewarding after your visit, not having to worry about all kinds of rules and regulations, do's and don'ts of the resorts.
My first time there I was expecting to see a tall mountain, hill or cliff of some sort and then the cascade of water. But it wasn't the case. My wife
(who you see with me in the pictures) was the one to introduce me to this place. As we walked the path I was waiting to see it any minute now. There was no cascade. It comes from a small opening under the ground, within a cave.  There is two waterfalls inside the cave. There is lots of trees around, almost forest like. There are paths to walk and you can go to different parts of the Falls. A lot of people brave the slippery rocks and strong currents. Explore the several natural Lagoon's and swim. The water is clear and clean, you can see the bottom. It is deeper than it looks, well over your head in several area's.                                                    
 Each time I visit I notice more development. They have done construction and built up Nipa Huts and such. No plans on making it a resort just more enjoyable. There is a snack bar or you can bring your own goodies. Afterward, there is a place to take shower if you like. You can purchase a small bar of soap from the snack bar very cheap.
 
To sum up. Depending on your location it is easy to get there. If your already in Penaplata just hire a Habal-Habal (motorcycle driver), for about 40 pesos. The entrance fee into Hagimit is also about 40 pesos. Forty pesos is equal to $1. I can't wait for my next visit.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story. So glad to hear you like the Philippines specially Davao city.
    I was born in that island but haven't explore the place so much. I am definitely bringing my husband and family to this place. Just reading your story I am already day dreaming about it.

    ReplyDelete